Everyone knows the benefits of coconut in skincare – these days it’s all we seem to talk about (including me, here’s a post all about it!). Saying that, if you’ve ever slept with coconut oil in your hair, you’ll seriously understand the hype. Aside from creating super-glossy locks and dazzling white teeth, did you know that coconut is jam-packed with health benefits? Some people actually believe that coconut has the ability to cure all illnesses… which is why the Palm Tree (aka the coconut tree) is sometimes referred to as the Tree of Life.
No matter whether you eat it raw, drink the milk or cook with the oil, your body is in for a variety of treats! From boosting your immune system to providing you with an excellent source of fibre, minerals, vitamins and amino acids, coconut is the one superfood you shouldn’t be going without. It has even been said that it contains antioxidant properties that slow down the ageing process and leave your skin feeling hydrated.
So seeing as the world is going loco for coco, I thought I’d whip up one of my favourite on-the-go recipes with a coconutty twist…
What you’ll need…
- 120g rolled oats
- 80g coconut flakes*
- 100g unsalted cashew halves
- 60g dried, chopped cranberries
- 120ml unsweetened honey
- 120ml coconut and almond butter* (any nut butter will work well)
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil*
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Here’s what to do…
- Line a oven-proof tray with baking paper and set the oven to 180 degrees
- In a large bowl combine the oats, nuts, cranberries and coconut, then set aside
- Place a saucepan over a low heat and combine your honey, coconut oil, nut butter, salt, vanilla and cinnamon, Stir until warm and the butter and oil have melted together
- Next add the contents from your large bowl into the saucepan and stir until the coconut/nut/fruit mixture is completely coated
- Add the mixture to your prepared tray and press down to pack the bars tightly together. Make sure you give them a firm press, otherwise they won’t hold together and you’ll end up with coconut granola – delicious, but that wasn’t the aim of the game!
- Lastly, pop in the oven for 10 minutes and voila… on-the-go breakfast for the entire week. Simply cut into squares and you’re ready to roll
If you fancy trying out this recipe for yourself, or you’re interested in adding more coconut to your diet, head over to Holland and Barrett. They have an amazing selection of delicious coconut products, from coconut pieces to coconut lattes! Enjoy.