The start of 2016 has mainly been focused on getting back into shape and eating the right things. One of my favourite meals is breakfast, but in order to make it to the office for 9, smashed avocado on toast isn’t really an option. So I wanted to share an easy, travel-friendly recipe that keeps you nicely full until lunch time… Apple & Berry Baked Porridge.
- 300g Oats
- 500ml Milk (for a healthier alternative try, water or almond milk)
- 50g Crushed Pecans
- 2 Grated Apples
- 2 Handful’s of Raspberries or Blueberries or both!
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 2 tsp Ginger
- 2 tbsp Honey
Here’s what to do:
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C/400F
- Mix your oats and milk/water in a large bowl and set aside from 10 – 15 minutes, until the oats are soft and fluffy
- Add your apples, berries, nuts, spices and honey and stir everything together
- Pour the mixture into an oven proof dish or baking tray
- Bake for about 25 minutes, until the top is deliciously golden and all the excess liquid has been absorbed
- Lastly cut it into pieces and serve with milk (or yoghurt), a drizzle of honey and a few extra berries
Wrap the individual pieces in tinfoil and store in the fridge for a easy grab-and-go breakfast option. Once you’re at the office, just stick it the microwave for 1 minute (obviously removing the tinfoil) with a dash of milk etc and you’re set to give your desk buddies a serious case of breakfast envy.